The City of Jackson Michigan
Jackson is a city in the south main area of the U.S. state of Michigan, about 40 miles (64 km) west of Ann Arbor and 35 miles (56 km) south of Lansing. It is the county seat of Jackson County. Served by Interstate 94, it is the principal city of the Jackson Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes Jackson County and has a population of 160,248.
Founded in 1829, it was called after President Andrew Jackson. By the late 19th century, it had established as a railroad hub and was known as the crossroads of Michigan. By 1910 it had strong manufacturing of a variety of autos and parts and was likewise a center of corset production into the 1920s. As a commercial city, it attracted many migrants from the American South, both white and black, and European immigrants who were seeking better economic chance.
The first state jail was developed here. By 1882 it had developed as the biggest walled prison in the world, consisting of both factory centers and farmland. A new jail was built in 1934 north of the city limitations.
|• Mayor||Derek Dobies|
|• City Manager||Patrick Burtch|
|• City||10.98 sq mi (28.43 km2)|
|• Land||10.86 sq mi (28.13 km2)|
|• Water||0.12 sq mi (0.30 km2)|
|Elevation||932 ft (284 m)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||3,011.14/sq mi (1,162.56/km2)|
|• Metro||159,748 (US: 251th)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0629165|
On July 3, 1829, Horace Blackman, accompanied by Alexander Laverty, a land property surveyor, and Pewytum, an Indian guide, forded the Grand River and made camp for the night at a site now marked as Trail and N. Jackson Street. They arrived there along a well-traveled Native American path leading west from Ann Arbor.
He went back to the Jackson area in August 1829 with his bro Russell. Together they cleared land and built a cabin at what would become the corner of Ingham and Trail streets. The town was first called Jacksonopolis. Later on, it was renamed Jacksonburgh. In 1838, the town’s name was altered to just Jackson. Jackson government employment.
Jackson is served by Jackson Public Schools. The Jackson urbanized area is home to approximately 16 primary public schools, along with about 16 private or parochial schools. It also has a big public middle school (The Middle School at Parkside). It has nine high schools: the general public Jackson High School, East Jackson Secondary School (Public), Jackson County Western High School, and Northwest High School, T. A. Wilson Academy, Napoleon High School, and Vandercook Lake High School; and the private DaVinci Institute (Charter), Jackson Preparatory and Early College (Charter), and Jackson Christian School (Non-Denom), and Lumen Christi Catholic School (Catholic).
There is adult and higher education as well: Jackson College (previously Jackson Community College), Baker College, Career Quest Learning Centers, and Spring Arbor University. An additional 15 college institutions are within one hour of Jackson County.
CMS Energy headquarters in downtown Jackson
Restructuring in heavy market in the mid-20th century caused a decrease in jobs and population in lots of industrial cities, consisting of Jackson. CMS Energy offers natural gas and electrical services to much of Michigan and has its global head office in the city.
Michigan Automotive Compressor, Inc. (MACI) is the biggest producer in Jackson County and its fourth-largest private employer. In February 2009 it began providing voluntary buyouts to its workers, in reaction to the slowing economy throughout the monetary crisis. 
Jackson Flexible Products, simply outside the city, has actually been among North America’s premier custom-molded rubber experts since 1969.  The business utilizes over 35 people, supplying components for the aerospace, vehicle and defense industries. 
As noted above in the History area, Jackson’s state prison complex includes the first state prison structure, which was expanded and ended up being known as the largest walled jail worldwide. Portions of the jail complex closed in 2007, including the Annex of the Charles Egeler Reception and Guidance Center Annex (RGC)   and the Southern Michigan Correctional Facility (JMF).  Among the closed cell blocks at JMF has been adjusted and re-opened as the Cell Block 7 Prison Museum. Jackson animal control.
From the late nineteenth century into the mid-twentieth century, Jackson was a major railway hub and for over a century has been known as the crossroads of Michigan. Today the Michigan Central Railroad Jackson Depot on East Michigan Avenue is the country’s earliest train station in continuous active use. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
Amtrak, the national traveler rail system, offers service to Jackson, operating its Wolverine three times daily in each instructions between Chicago and Pontiac, Michigan, through Detroit. Baggage can not be examined at this location; nevertheless, approximately 2 suitcases, in addition to any “personal items” such as briefcases, bags, laptop bags, and baby devices, are allowed on board as carry-ons.
Jackson and Lansing Railroad (JAIL) owns a line from Jackson to Lansing, Michigan. Norfolk Southern (NS) owns a lawn in Jackson also.
Jackson, MI Zip Codes
49201 49202 49203