Michigan Hall of Justice
The Michigan Hall of Justice, likewise known as the Michigan Supreme Court Building is a six-story structure at 925 Ottawa Street in Lansing, Michigan. It is constructed in the postmodern design and faced with over 14,000 limestone panels. The structure was created by Spillis Candella and Albert Kahn Associates, Inc.
The building contains an overall of 280,000 sq ft (26,000 m2) houses the Michigan Supreme Court, state court administrative workplaces and a 3,800 sq feet (350 m2) knowing. The Michigan Hall of Justice is located at the west end of the mall dealing with the Michigan State Capitol and consists of a main entry framed by Doric columns and two curved wings. One-story colonnades extend from the two curved wings offering a covered area for pedestrians and assisting to connect the building aesthetically to the Capitol. Lansing Michigan Information.
When the Michigan State Capitol opened in 1879, it consisted of an elaborately embellished chamber for The Supreme Court on the third flooring. Court members and their personnel initially inhabited the spaces adjacent to the chamber in the east corridor. These facilities were rapidly taxed beyond their capacity as the court had just 4 justices when it moved into these quarters and a fifth justice was added in 1887, increasing to eight in 1903.
In 1922, numerous state offices moved from the Capitol Building into the recently built Lewis Cass Building and the Supreme Court expanded into area formerly occupied by the State Library. The number of justices was decreased to seven by the Michigan Constitution of 1963. The court continued to use these confined facilities up until 1970.
When the Lewis Cass Building opened, numerous in the Michigan Government recognized the requirement for expanded centers to house the Supreme Court. In his master plan for Lansing created 1920-1921, city coordinator Harland Bartholomew consisted of a majestic court building at the west end of the capitol however the Legislature took no actions to meet this portion of the plan.
The Supreme Court left the Capitol Building for short-term quarters in the Law Building, later relabelled for Governor and Supreme Court member G. Mennen Williams, on the capitol shopping mall in 1970. It stayed there for 32 years till moving to the Hall of Justice.
The lobby of the court chamber is on the 6th flooring under the 16 feet (4.9 m) size glass dome. The chamber is to the back of the building. The home furnishings and design of the chamber are based on those in the 1871 chamber in the Capitol Building.