The Dodge Mansion, also known as Turner-Dodge House, is a historical house in Lansing, Michigan that was constructed in 1855. It was noted on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1972 as Dodge Mansion.
The Turner-Dodge House is now a museum committed to Lansing’s early pioneers. The museum sits in the Classical Revival-styled Turner-Dodge Mansion, integrated 1858 for James and Marion Turner, and later broadened by their daughter and her hubby.
Turner-Dodge House General Information
|Location||106 E. North St.,
|Area||9 acres (3.6 ha)|
|Architect||Darius B. Moon|
|Architectural style||Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals, Georgian Revival|
In 1847, the state legislature established a new capitol at the then substantially unclear Lansing place. Merchant James Turner moved from Mason to the new settlement, selecting a home site at this place. In the 1850s, Turner developed a large mansion on his property. He lived there up until his death in 1869, after which his widow stayed in the house. Ownership of the house passed to his child James M. Turner, who lived there till his death. After this, James M’s sis, Abbey, and her spouse Frank Dodge purchased the house.
In 1900, the Dodges employed Lansing designer Darius B. Moon to improve and refurbish the home. The job was finished in 1903, resulting in a house with a completely altered appearance, practically entirely eliminating the style of the original home. The Great Lakes Bible College got the home in 1958, and inhabited it till 1972 when it moved to another campus. Lansing Michigan Information.
The Turner-Dodge House is a large Georgian Revival home covered in brick Veneer. The home has a large two-story front deck with Ionic columns, sitting on a stone foundation. The home is surrounded by an enormous wooden cornice.
On the interior, the house has large classical doorways, numerous fireplaces, and diagonal and leaded glass windows.